UD initiatives at BNCA:
A variety of initiatives and activities have been successfully organized under Universal Design Centre BNCA since its inception.
- Established a library and laboratory on Universal Design at BNCA.
- Written research papers on Universal design-related studies.
- Conducted access audit and design proposal for enhancing the accessibility of the World Heritage Site of Ellora, Aurangabad.
- Conducted an Access audit of Chaturshringi temple in Pune, and designed a proposal for making the site accessible.
- Conducted Access audit of Shaniwarwada and Pataleshwar caves- national monuments in Pune, and designed a proposal for making the site accessible.
- Conducted Access audit of Pune Railway Station and Swargate Bus stand.
- Ongoing research on the inclusion of people with disabilities, with a focus on people with visual impairment, in heritage sites.
- Every year Simulation exercises, experiments with tactile models, user needs surveys, and participatory design studios based on the needs of people with disabilities are conducted as part of the curriculum.
- 18 weeks elective module on Universal design introduced and conducted every year in 4th year B.Arch. Curriculum at Pune University.
- Integrated Universal Design theory and principles in all design studios at B Arch and M Arch level.
- Universal Design Workshop for students of all colleges of architecture in Pune.
- Conducted City-level Seminar on UD in association with Pune Construction Engineering and Research Foundation for professionals and academicians.
- Training students through participation in Universal Design Competitions at the national level.
- Sensitization program for students across all colleges of architecture in Pune in association with Ekansh, a local NGO in Pune.
- Contribution to creating awareness amongst the common man through newspaper articles and papers.
- Participation in public exhibitions to spread awareness on this subject.
- Conducting Heritage walks for groups of differently-abled students and citizens.
- Organized National level round table conference on Universal Design at IUCAA, Pune with national-level UD experts.
- Conducted two-day intensive training for CPWD engineers in Pune on Universal Accessibility.
- Celebrating World Disability Day and White Cane Day every year in collaboration with city-level NGOs and special schools.
- Participation in a city-level Street Design Competition organized by PSDCL with a proposal of a model street based on Universal Design.
- Publications on Universal Design.
- Documentation of Global best practices in Universal Design.
Prof. Kavita Murugkar (Director, UDC)
Mobile: +91 9767439947